Entrepreneurship can be a lonely game. The road to business success, both online and offline, is a long and bumpy one, often littered with pitfalls before success comes knocking.
You need to be willing to spend long hours learning and applying new information when you’d rather be spending time having fun with family and friends. It can take several attempts and wrong turns before you hit on the right business model that not only works but also fits in with your life plan, vision and goals.
The truth is, once you decide to leave the safety net of your day job to build your own business, you are stepping onto a crazy rollercoaster ride.
Amongst all the fun and excitement of being your own boss, there will be days when you feel scared, alone and confused.
Deals you were banking on fall through. People you thought you could trust let you down. Products you thought would be home-runs, flop embarrassingly.
During tough times like these there isn’t much you can do, other than keep the faith and keep going.
I’m a great believer that being in business involves mastering the inner game of self and the outer game of business.
Having a success mindset is essential, possibly even more important than business acumen alone.
That’s why I am such a fan of motivational and inspirational quotes. They keep me focused and positive, even when things are not going to plan.
Here are my top 50 motivational quotes for business, success and life.
1. Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. ~ John Wayne
2. If you don’t make things happen then things will happen to you. ~ Robert Collier
3. A business has to be involving, it has to be fun, and it has to exercise your creative instincts. ~ Richard Branson
4. Live daringly, boldly, fearlessly. Taste the relish to be found in competition – in having put forth the best within you. ~ Henry J. Kaiser
5. Winning is not a sometime thing; it’s an all time thing. You don’t win once in a while, you don’t do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time.Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. ~ Vince Lombardi
6. You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win. ~ Zig Ziglar
7. A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business. ~ Henry Ford
8. Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve. Thoughts are things! And powerful things at that, when mixed with definiteness of purpose, and burning desire, can be translated into riches. ~ Napoleon Hill
9. To be successful, you have to have your heart in your business, and your business in your heart. ~ Thomas Watson, Sr.
10. Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm. ~ Winston Churchill
11. To succeed… You need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you. ~ Tony Dorsett
12. Things work out best for those who make the best of how things work out. ~ John Wooden
13. You’ve got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly enough I can have it. It’s called perseverance. ~ Lee Iacocca
14. Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you’re going to do now and do it. ~ William Durant
15. I find that when you have a real interest in life and a curious life, that sleep is not the most important thing. ~ Martha Stewart
16. Success in business requires training and discipline and hard work. But if you’re not frightened by these things, the opportunities are just as great today as they ever were. ~ David Rockefeller
17. Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it. ~ Maya Angelou
18. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
19. If you are going through hell, keep going. ~ Winston Churchill
20. It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. ~ Confucius
21. I’ve always believed that one woman’s success can only help another woman’s success. ~ Gloria Vanderbilt
22. Life isn’t worth living unless you’re willing to take some big chances and go for broke. ~ Eliot Wiggington
23. Life’s challenges are not supposed to paralyze you; they’re supposed to help you discover who you are. ~ Bernice Johnson Reagon
24. The successful warrior is the average man, with laser-like focus. ~ Bruce Lee
25. You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future.
26. You have to trust in something – your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life. ~ Steve Jobs
27. If you don’t value your time, neither will others. Stop giving away your time and talents. Value what you know and start charging for it. ~ Kim Garst
28. Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. ~ Helen Keller
29. People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves, they have the first secret of success. ~ Norman Vincent Peale
30. Progress always involves risks. You can’t steal second base and keep your foot on first. ~ Frederick B Wilcox
31. Quality means doing it right when no one is looking. ~Henry Ford
32. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. ~ Mark Twain
33. The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra. ~ Jimmy Johnson
34. The essential question is not, “How busy are you?” but “What are you busy at?” ~ Oprah Winfrey
35. If you genuinely want something, don’t wait for it – teach yourself to be impatient. ~ Gurbaksh Chahal
36. There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. ~ Beverly Sills
37. We can let circumstances rule us, or we can take charge and rule our lives from within. ~ Earl Nightingale
38. Success is the sum of small efforts – repeated day in and day out. ~ Robert Collier
39. I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work. ~ Thomas A. Edison
40. Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life – think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success. ~ Swami Vivekananda
41. Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world. ~ Harriet Tubman
42. No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. ~ Buddha
43. Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs. ~ Henry Ford
44. When I dare to be powerful – to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid. ~ Audre Lorde
45. Don’t let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning. ~ Robert Kiyosaki
46. If you work just for money, you’ll never make it, but if you love what you’re doing and you always put the customer first, success will be yours. ~ Ray Kroc
47. The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary. ~ Vidal Sassoon
48. The important thing is not being afraid to take a chance. Remember, the greatest failure is to not try. Once you find something you love to do, be the best at doing it. ~ Debbi Fields
49. Have a very good reason for everything you do. ~ Laurence Olivier
50. Capital isn’t scarce; vision is. ~ Sam Walton
What Are Your Thoughts?
Which one is your favorite? Do you know of any other good motivational business quotes I may have missed?